MATTHEW S. NEWMAN
1981-Present - Sawyer
- Self-employed woodworker/ sculpture operating Trails ARTware Damascus Va.
- Exhibiting baskets and sculptures throughout the United States, in fine art and craft galleries.
- Worcester Center for Crafts, Worcester, MA
- Purchased "Plus-With" (white oak) for the City of Mesa, Arizona Art Collection.
- Awarded U.S. patent #D-304-640 for the “Newman Basket.”
- Created first 3-dimensional, bentwood piece.
- Grand Prize, Thayer Street Arts Festival, Providence, RI
- Judges Merit Award, 12th Annual Sculpture Celebration, Lenoir, NC
- Best of Show, Show of Hands Fair, Providence, RI
- First Prize Art, Havre-de- Grace Art Festival, Havre-de-Grace, MD
- First Prize / Best of Show, Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, Ann Arbor, MI
- Board of Directors Award, Gasparilla Sidewalk Arts Festival, Tampa, FL
- First Place Sculpture, Boca Museum Festival, Boca Raton, FL
- First Place Wood, Coconut Grove Arts Festival, Coconut Grove, FL
- Second Prize Sculpture, Boca Museum Festival, Boca Raton, FL
- Second Place 3-D, SoNo Arts Celebration, South Norwalk, CT
- Award of Merit, Gasparilla Sidewalk Arts Festival, Tampa, FL
- First Prize, "Mars and Muses," Higgins Armory Museum, Worcester, MA (for "Joe's Hat" in red oak)
- Purchase Award, O.D.C., Columbus, OH (for "mini-pozer" in cherry)
- Awarded U.S. design patent #D-304-640 (for Newman Basket)
- Third Prize, Artsworcester, Worcester, MA (for Helmet in white oak)
- First Place, Boys Club of America Fine Arts Exhibit (for wood block print)
- First Place Woodworking, Southern Indiana Industrial Arts Association, Madison, IN